Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

How to Make a Flower Pot out of Thrifty Kitchen Stuff

I think my Mother's Day Patio Makeover could keep me writing fresh new posts well into the summer!  Here's another such post....

The first thing my mom said when she saw this was, "Is that from my cupboard?"  Of course the answer was, "No!"  But then I thought, "maybe I should have grabbed that one because the last time she used it, I think I was a kid."  Oh well, so here's my thrifted Bundt pan planter:


The supplies are few.  You will need a pan of some sort, some sisal, a drill and a 1/4" and 5/8" drill bits.  If the kitchen item you choose is a heavy duty piece of metal, you'll want to consider drill bits made from Titanium or, even better....Cobalt.


With your 1/4" drill bit, drill several holes in the bottom for drainage.  Then use your 5/8" drill bit to drill four equally spaced holes for the sisal rope to be threaded through.


Now cut two equal lengths of sisal to the size you'll need to hang from your favorite spot on the patio and tie them together in a knot that forms a loop for hanging.  As a side note, even my sisal is upcycled.  You know mom and dad have a pet store right?  Well dad makes all the cat trees in the store from pre-assembled parts.  He had all these obsolete sisal covered scratching posts that didn't work anymore...guess who inherited them!

 
Now feed the resulting four pieces of sisal through the the holes from the inside of the pan and tie a knot on the outside:


All that's left now is to trim the tails from the knots and plant your pan.  Easy Peasy, right?


Your local thrift store is just filled with old unwanted stuff just waiting to be transformed into something pretty and useful, so head out now!  Get that patio oasis started today.

10 comments:

  1. I love to use kitchen things for planters. This bundt pan is perfect. Love it!
    Have a great day,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! So cute! Love how it turned out!STopping by from the Creative Home Acre Linky. :)

    Christine
    http://www.myepicureanadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea....love how it looks when it is all done also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever, Tricia! I know my bundt pan sees the inside of the cabinet more than the outside!

    Thanks for linking up to The Creative HomeAcre Blog Hop! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. so nice collection never seen before such rare things kitchen linens. thanks for sharing this information.how to reset samsung fridge

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...