Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How to Carve Rocks With a Dremel

Have you seen those rocks that people carve with inspirational words and then display in clear vases?  I think they're quite pretty.  Turns out there's lots of uses for those carved rocks.  You can use them in the garden:


and even turn them into jewelry:



You'll need just a few supplies for this project:

1.  Your Dremel
2.  A Silcone Carbide grinding stone, tougher rocks will need a diamond bit
3.  Stones of your choice (though you may want to test a small area to make sure they'll yield enough of a contrast in color for your design)
4.  Water for cooling your bit, safety glasses and a dust mask

You may want to consider a few optional supplies:
1.  A Dremel Flex Shaft (this allows you to use a pencil like grip while carving)
2.  Beeswax if you hope to wear your finished piece as jewelry
3.  If you'd like to turn these rocks into jewelry you'll need to drill a hole.  You can do this with your Dremel grinding stone or with your drill; a drill with a masonry bit works best.

Start by tracing your design out on the rock in pencil and insert your carving bit into your Dremel.  If you're using a diamond bit you'll need to change the collet to a smaller one to accommodate the small shaft size of the bit.

Trace over your design with either your carbide carving stone or your diamond bit until you've achieved the desired depth.  Be sure to wet the rock every 20-30 seconds or so to keep the bit cool.



Finally, if you decide to polish your rock run the polishing wheel through a hunk of beeswax and rub it back and forth on the rock.  I wouldn't typically all polish for outdoor rocks but I definitely would for a piece of jewelry.



If you need to see this done, don't worry - it's all on YouTube.


So, what will you do with your carved rocks?

23 comments:

  1. Very good info! I've been thinking about getting a Dremel but I'm afraid it will just add to the list of things I want to do! Sure wish I had a clone slave that I could get to do all the prep stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will! ...add to the list. It will never end. On the flip side, you really can solve a lot of problems around the house!

      Delete
  2. Who knew? These would make cute plant labels for the vege garden. Have a great day!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think they are perfect for the garden!

      Delete
  3. This is now on my DIY list! I'll have to check what kind of Dremel we have now. =0) Thanks for the awesome tutorial. I added you to my Google+ and am now a new GFC follower.
    ~Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following your Pinterest boards too. So awesome!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for all the follows! I hope you'll give this one a try. You don't need a fancy schmancy Dremel, mine is only the 200 series and it works great.

      Delete
  4. Really neat project:) Pinned Stop over http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/02/be-fearless-arianna-huffington.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follow too. Follow back at www.sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to be having a problem getting into your posts after this one. It shows on my feed, then I get a page does not exist error message. Then I go to the main header for your blog, and this is the latest post that shows. Do you have any idea what's up? I hate missing stuff! Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Liz. You're not missing anything...chalk it up to blogger error! They'll be a new post in the am though.

      Delete
  7. Tricia, I saw your project on 52 Mantels. Great post! I actually just a Dremel and need some inspiration to open the box, now I have it! Can't wait to try this for my garden this Spring. Thanks so much for sharing! ~Cindy, littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for a new Dremel...be careful though. Once you get started it's kinda hard to stop. Following you on Pinterest, love your boards!

      Delete
  8. Okay I have a dremel I may just do this . Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm working on a bunch for the garden. So easy once you get into a groove! Have fun.

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial, thanks for posting! I got a dremel or christmas and I definitely need to try this, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good project to start with! It'll ease you into using your Dremel before taking on projects that will literally make the sparks fly. Have fun with your new toy!

      Delete
  10. Very cool! Thank you so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! I hope to see you again tomorrow! Here's the link:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-3.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi all! Great rocks.

    - Beeswax is used to make a shiny coat.

    - Polishing compound that comes with your dremel is an abrasive and is used to polish metals mainly. But can be used for other things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My rocks are getting a powdery looking film on them when I grind them with my dremel. Am I not grinding them far along enough? It's either that or a glassy like unattractive skin. What is causing this and what can I do to get that pretty finished shine I see in everyone else's photos? Am I stopping with the grinding too soon? Should I go to try sanding and then polishing at this point? Thank You for answering asap. This is getting frustrating and I can't seem to find any information online about this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I just saw your tutorial and just started using a dremel. I have a lot to learn. I was wondering what speed did you have your dremel set with engraving/carving?

    Thank you for any help
    Lisette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    I just saw your tutorial and just started using a dremel. I have a lot to learn. I was wondering what speed did you have your dremel set with engraving/carving?

    Thank you for any help
    Lisette

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...