Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

How to Make a Wine Bottle Hummingbird Feeder

This time of year you can typically find my Etsy shop shelves stocked with a variety of upcycled bird feeders.  And this year I've added a line of Booze Bottle Bird Feeders made from bottles that a local restaurant would have otherwise thrown in the trash.  Recycling isn't as widely accepted where I live as it is in major cities across the country.  Here, waste management services typically charge restaurants (and even some residents) an additional fee for recycling so it's more cost effective just to toss everything in the garbage.  I know, sad, but true.

I thought I'd show you how to make one of my simpler bird feeder styles.  It's a hummingbird feeder made from a wine bottle and I've put together a video tutorial for it.


I go over the tools you'll need to make this bird feeder in the video, but the one thing that you'll likely have a hard time finding are the stoppers with the built in tube feeder.  I can't tell you how many people ask me if I sell just the stoppers when I'm out at Farmer's Markets and other festivals.  So, here are the one's I use:



I hope you'll enjoy making these and share the project with your bird loving friends!

Linking up to Catch As Catch Can on My Repurposed Life

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are so much prettier hanging from the trees than they are in the landfill!

      Delete
  2. Great idea! Thank you for showing how to make it. I definitely want to try making one.


    Law Student to Life Student

    ReplyDelete
  3. How simple! I might have to make one for the tuis in my part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I love simple! Especially when it's made from trash.

      Delete
  4. Hi Tricia
    Great idea. I love this.
    Thanks for sharing at our Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop.
    Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angel, for co-hosting a fabulous party!

      Delete
  5. this is a terrific upcycle project! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop my friend xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, always a fun time on Katherines Corner.

      Delete
  6. I love this! Very cool. I've made some fly traps out of wine bottles but I want to try this.

    I saw it over at Thursday Favorites and would love for you to come share at my From the Farm Blog Hop:
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/08/from-farm-blog-hop.html

    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for swinging by, Lisa! I'll check out the hop.

      Delete
  7. Great Idea!! I love hummingbirds :)
    Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop!
    I hope you join us again on Thursday.
    http://www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Easily the prettiest upcycled feeder I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm giddy! I could see selling these at farmer's markets. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I DO sell them at farmer's markets. Surprisingly, Christmas is the best time to sell them. Folks love them as Christmas gifts.

      Delete
  10. Does the copper wire turn green in the elements? My husband said copper wire would turn green?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copper does indeed patina with time...think Statue of Liberty. Some say it adds to the beauty of something like this but if you don't like the look you can use a little super fine steel wool to restore it's natural sheen.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...