Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

How to Sew an Upcycled Newpaper Bag

I've been feeling so neglectful of my blog this last week!  I've been super busy preparing for the kick off to craft fair season, I haven't had much time for anything else.  So as I sat behind my sewing machine yesterday sewing up shopping bags for my customers, I grabbed my video camera and shot a little tutorial.

I've seen lots of tutorials on how to make bags out of newspaper but most of them use staples or glue.  Since I'm using mine to wrap customers packages, I don't want to use staples and risk them slicing open a finger and I'm terrified the glue won't hold.  Behind the sewing machine I sat trying to devise a way to make a similar bag with a boxy bottom.   Here's my 99.9999% upcycled newspaper bag (everything, except the thread is upcycled):



The upcycled "ingredients" are newspaper, cardboard food boxes, T-shirt yarn (or scrap fabric, plarn, etc).  Of course you'll also need a sewing machine and the ability to sew a straight stitch.  Check out the video tutorial...and don't be put off by the 12 minute length.  It's really a simple process but I couldn't stop yammering on and on.

How do you package up your customer purchases?




18 comments:

  1. Great idea! Love the comic section as a bag! I'm not "sew" talented.
    Sandy
    www.savardstudios.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm not sew talented either. If it needs a pattern or more than a straight stitch or two, I'm not interested!

      Delete
  2. Clever! I nominatecd you for the Liebster Award at my blog http://thriftytreasures.blogspot.com Stop on by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Sara. I'm honored to have been chosen a second time for ta Liebster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! great way to recycle! I pinned this in my upcycle board

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I am in love with this concept!! Upcycling is so cool and newspaper would be a limitless supply. I love taking things that no one else wants and making them into something!! Well Done. We are starting a link up party on Thursdays (today:), and we would love for you to join us with this post and/or any others you would like to include. We are at allthingswithpurpose.com. Hope to see you there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. I'll check it out this week!

      Delete
  6. this is so creative! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool idea! Thanks for sharing your talent on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    Our next party goes live Sunday morning at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-6.html

    If you have a blog hop, please check out The Linky Love Party...a place to share your parties with other bloggers! Grab the button for an easy way to search for parties every week!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/lets-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tutorial. I have been wanting to make these with old calendars also. These are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea & such a clear tutorial aswell! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bags! These would be so cool at a kid’s b-day party. Your tutorial was extremely helpful, thanks for taking the time to record and share. (Love 2 Upcycle Linky Party!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked 'em! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Love this tutorial! Love that it uses cardboard as well...Always feel so bad throwing those things out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rebecca. Glad you liked the tutorial and hope you give it a try. I never toss cardboard. There are so many ways to reuse it - and I make a lot of my paper bead jewelry out of it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...