Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Single Serve Storage Waste, "No Thank You!"

Have you seen that commercial where the woman pulls out a jack hammer to separate her frozen chicken pieces? Yeah, it's kind of humorous and we've all been there at one time or another after tossing a full package of meat into the freezer.  But is the solution really to buy plastic bags that you can slip onto your hands to wrap single pieces of meat which are then stored inside of yet another plastic bag?

You know I say the answer is, "Absolutely not!"  I say, "save the cash (and the waste) and use what you have."  Here's how I do it:



If you've ever purchased deli style sandwich meats or ready made potato/macaroni salads or the like then you probably have these fabulously reusable plastic containers kicking around.  Even if you have to purchase a few, it still saves you a boatload of cash as you'll use them over and over again.  Just slap a serving or two into the containers and label them with a dry erase marker.  No fuss, no muss...no waste!!

Hint:  Be sure to wipe the label off before you put the container in the dishwasher.  The heat will set the maker into the container.

4 comments:

  1. And then convince your husband to keep them and not put them in the recycle bin! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I haven't bought a plastic storage container in forever. I reuse them all...I have butter tubs comin' outta my ears! :)

      Delete
  2. I keep one of these specially so that if I eat out and want to bring home my leftovers, I can use this container over and over, and avoid those awful pressed foam containers a lot of restaurants use. Not that I eat out often, since I'm too frugal to pay good money when I could make several meals for the same price, but then there are times when joining friends for a meal out is important, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! It's rare that people think to do that, but awesome idea!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...